What is SOUNDS Academy?
Who We Are
SOUNDS Academy is a non-profit music education organization that teaches, mentors, and provides musical experiences and opportunities for underserved youth. In SOUNDS Academy students learn the character values of creativity, leadership, perseverance, resilience, and teamwork through music education.
What We Do
We teach character values in our Musical Access Program, which connects students to live music and instruments through our Instrument Petting Zoos, our School Programs for lower income schools , and our SOLO Program, which provides one-on-one instruction. Instruments are provided to those who cannot afford one.
SOUNDS Academy Programs
Our Musical Access Program exposes children to musical experiences through live performances and Instrument Petting Zoos. Through this program, children are inspired to explore music and play instruments. Beyond a live performance, musicians share their stories and speak about the importance of creativity, leadership, perseverance, resilience, teamwork, and higher education.
School Programs provide instrumental instruction in a group setting. Students learn the character values of creativity, leadership, perseverance, resilience, and teamwork through music education. While in the program, students receive instruments, music books, and other materials. Classes teach note reading and the fundamentals of instrument performance through bi-weekly, hour-long classes.
Our SOLO Program provides one-on-one lessons to students. Students receive mentorship to prepare them for auditions and high-level performances. While in the SOLO Program, students receive instruments, music books, and other supplementary materials. It is out of this program that students have received scholarships to play with orchestras and attend college.
The Collective consists of 50 hardworking students who exemplify the character values of creativity, leadership, perseverance, resilience, and teamwork. Students in this program attend concerts, take lessons, play in a chamber ensemble, and take theory classes for 6 hours a week. Additionally, these students perform throughout the valley, using the community as their stage.
A few things about SOUNDS Academy
Students Impacted by Musical Access
Students Impacted by The School Program
Scholarship Dollars Given
The Problems We Are Solving
- SOUNDS Academy has taught me not only to become a better performer, but a better person, whose value of character has grown under the nurturing guidance of my teacher.- SOUNDS Academy Student
- "I choose to have my sons in SOUNDS Academy because they care. The dedication of the organization is truly heart felt in everything that they do."- SOUNDS Academy Parent
- "Instruction in the creative arts are integral to the development of children's problem solving, logical reasoning, and self-esteem. SOUNDS Academy fills a deficit in the current US educational system by providing the space to develop these skills."- Kirsten Eby MAT, MA, BHT, Expressive Arts Therapist (SOUNDS Academy Board Member)
- "In addition to all the more obvious benefits of music, SOUNDS Academy has given us a chance to talk with our child about patience, responsibility, and what it means to practice every day. The experience goes beyond just learning notes."- Ms. Seltzer; SOUNDS Academy Parent
- The teachers cater the lessons to their student's needs and learning styles. The motivational techniques are tailored to how each student best responds. The teachers genuinely care and are willing to work with a child's emotional needs; knowing no two students are alike. They do not talk down to children and including them in solutions to any problems. My daughter not only gets the "whats" and the subtle techniques of the "hows", but also the "whys" of music. I've watched her grow not only musically, but also emotionally. She has learned to keep trying and push through during hardships. All these things add up to an organization that is amazing at teaching music to children and teens, and exposing them to musical opportunities they might not otherwise have or know about.- Ms. Bowley; SOUNDS Academy Parent
- "I like playing music because it allows me to step into my own private world. In this world all of stress is relieved. I like to come home from school and practice."- Mr. Muñoz; SOUNDS Academy Student
Meet our Team
SOUNDS Academy prides ourselves in providing professional teachers with a high level of education and performance. Our faculty live and teach the values of perseverance, resilience, teamwork, leadership, and creativity through music education and performance. FIND OUT MORE ABOUT US