What is SOUNDS Academy?
Who We Are
SOUNDS Academy is a non-profit music education organization that teaches, mentors, and provides musical experiences and opportunities for underserved youth. In SOUNDS Academy students learn the character values of creativity, leadership, perseverance, resilience, and teamwork through music education.
What We Do
We teach character values in our Musical Access Program, which connects students to live music and instruments through our Instrument Petting Zoos, our School Programs for lower income schools , and our SOLO Program, which provides one-on-one instruction. Instruments are provided to those who cannot afford one.
SOUNDS Academy Programs
Our Musical Access Program exposes children to musical experiences through live performances and Instrument Petting Zoos. Through this program, children are inspired to explore music and play instruments. Beyond a live performance, musicians share their stories and speak about the importance of creativity, leadership, perseverance, resilience, teamwork, and higher education.
School Programs provide instrumental instruction in a group setting. Students learn the character values of creativity, leadership, perseverance, resilience, and teamwork through music education. While in the program, students receive instruments, music books, and other materials. Classes teach note reading and the fundamentals of instrument performance through bi-weekly, hour-long classes.
Our SOLO Program provides one-on-one lessons to students. Students receive mentorship to prepare them for auditions and high-level performances. While in the SOLO Program, students receive instruments, music books, and other supplementary materials. It is out of this program that students have received scholarships to play with orchestras and attend college.
The Collective consists of 50 hardworking students who exemplify the character values of creativity, leadership, perseverance, resilience, and teamwork. Students in this program attend concerts, take lessons, play in a chamber ensemble, and take theory classes for 6 hours a week. Additionally, these students perform throughout the valley, using the community as their stage.
A few things about SOUNDS Academy
Students Impacted by Musical Access
SOLO and School Program students receiving instruments & weekly instruction
Scholarship Dollars Given
The Problems We Are Solving
- "SOUNDS Academy allows my child to build confidence and discipline in herself and belief in her musical abilities."- Maxine Marshall; SOUNDS Academy Parent
- "SOUNDS Academy taught me how to conquer my fears and put myself out there because you never know what you'll learn about yourself."- Ms. Montalbo; Graduate of SOUNDS Academy
- "Instruction in the creative arts are integral to the development of children's problem solving, logical reasoning, and self-esteem. SOUNDS Academy fills a deficit in the current US educational system by providing the space to develop these skills."- Kirsten Eby MAT, MA, BHT, Expressive Arts Therapist (SOUNDS Academy Board Member)
- "I am very thankful to be a student of SOUNDS Academy because they allow me to put smiles on the faces of friends and family members when I perform the different songs that I have learned."Ms. Rivas; SOUNDS Academy Student
- "I like playing music because it allows me to step into my own private world. In this world all of stress is relieved. I like to come home from school and practice."- Mr. Muñoz; SOUNDS Academy Student
- "I like SOUNDS Academy because they allow me to learn a lot, teach me how to write my own music, and help prepare me for youth orchestra auditions. They encourage and allow me to be confident and extraordinary."Ms. Chávez; SOUNDS Academy Student
Meet our Team
SOUNDS Academy prides ourselves in providing professional teachers with a high level of education and performance. Our faculty live and teach the values of perseverance, resilience, teamwork, leadership, and creativity through music education and performance. FIND OUT MORE ABOUT US